Spring is finally approaching and this means outside family photos will soon be heating up! I personally love when all the trees start blooming in Cleveland Heights! Dogwoods, magnolias and cherry blossoms are my favorites and they are beautiful backdrops for photos! The Cleveland Museum of Art is abundant with these beauties!
The question I get asked a lot is "What should I wear?" to a family photo session. I already have a Pinterest board showing some of the options. Below I will also point you in the right direction.
- Wear what feels comfortable to you: What are your best colors? What allows you to move freely? What makes you feel good? Keep all these things in mind. Don't try to be someone you are not because this will show and most likely make you uncomfortable and it will be visible in the pictures.
- Don't Match but Coordinate: I think the only instance this looks good is white tops and jeans on everyone preferably on a beach. But when I see too much red, too much yellow or too much of any other color it tends to look like a fat blob of color. Artistically I prefer a mix of similar colors such as dark and light blues, or neutral tones such as beiges/creams with a pop of denim, oranges and browns, yellows and grays. Too matched looks too planned. So be creative and make it look natural!
- Ladies-accessorize! Make something about your outfit feminine. Make it pop! May it be a nice set of heels, a bold pair of earrings or a chunky decorative necklace. A little bit of accessory goes a long way. Notice I wrote "little". Too much can look tacky and distracting.
- Omit strong patterns/t-shirt logos: These are distracting and don't look natural. The only instance this may work is when it's obviously intentional. Stick with solid colors that flow together.
- Consider your home decor: If your home has mostly neutrals then a bright set of teals and yellows might not look good on your wall. Consider these little details.
Most importantly, be true to yourself and keep it classic. These pictures will be memories for years to come so make them look timeless and this way they will always look good!
Below are some of my favorite client family photos and their outfits!
CONTACT ME to book your family photography session!
Agnes Szlapka Studios is based in Cleveland Height, Ohio. Agnes Szlapka is a fine art and lifestyle photographer capturing artistic and emotionally moving photographs. Specializing in family photography, maternity photography, kids photography and lifestyle newborn photography.