Spring is right around the corner! This means family photo spring sessions are starting to book up! I already have some exciting photo shoots booked for April which I am thrilled to capture! I personally can not wait to get some shots with all the blooming cherry blossoms, dogwoods and magnolias and I know the Cleveland Museum of Art grounds are abundant with these beauties.
I wanted to give all the families some tips on how to prepare for a spring, summer or any photography session. There are a few things that really help and make the shoot even more successful!
- Clothing: I already did a post on What to Wear for a Photo Session, so please refer to that.
- Be rested & well fed! This is especially important for families with small kids. Do not schedule the shoot right before nap time or bed time. It is so hard to to make a tired toddler enjoy a shoot when they are on their last reserve of energy. Let them be rested and fed! Ladies, feed your husbands too ;)
- Give yourself plenty of time! Try to organize the day in a way that leaves you a few hours of stress free preparation, especially Mom's. It takes some time to do your hair & make-up etc. Take care of yourself first and then leave enough of time to get everyone else ready in a non-hurried way.
- Prepare the Dad's I've personally had great experience with the Dad's in my sessions. But I know they have a tendency to not enjoy these sessions. Remind your husbands how important these are and that they will be treasured forever. Our memories fade quickly and capturing some on photos is a beautiful way to preserve the love in your family. They will be even more glad once they see how happy and beautiful their wife looks along with the rest of the family!
- Stop saying "cheese" This makes for posed and unnatural photographs! Interact with your kids, make them laugh in ways you do on a regular daily basis. Enjoy each other and I will do the rest. Your pictures will come out full of genuine and gorgeous smiles.
- Have fun and perhaps bring along an activity. Throw your kids in the air, dance with them, tickle them! Give your wife a sweet kiss and whisper something in her ear. Bring along some skittles or read your kids their favorite stories. Have fun!!